Solvent Weld vs Push Fit
In the plastic building market there are two main types of waste systems available. These are Solvent Weld and Push Fit. Here at Plastic Supplies Direct we get asked many questions about the difference between the two systems. Also which system is best for which application?
Here is a quick and easy helpful list to allow you choose the correct system for your installation:
- Solvent Weld Systems require the use of Solvent Cement to create a permanent fix between the pipe and fittings
- Push Fit systems are as the name suggests a simply push together system. No adhesive or cement is required
- Solvent Weld systems are commonly used by professionals in commercial applications. The system can also be used in residential applications
- Push Fit systems are commonly used in residential applications only where the need to move or access the system may be required
- Solvent Weld systems are made from ABS plastic and sometimes PVC
- Push Fit systems are made from Polypropylene
- Solvent weld fittings do not have an internal rubber seal as these fittings are permanently cemented to the pipe
- Push Fit fittings have a black internal rubber seal to grip onto the pipe
- It is not possible to use Solvent Weld Waste fittings with Push Fit pipe and vice versa. If you need to join the two systems together, the best solution is to use a universal compression fitting
- Polypipe waste systems are compatible with many other brands of waste system such as Floplast, Brett Martin, Hepworth, Terrain, Osma Hunter and Marley. The only thing to remember is the pipe and fittings must match (Push Fit to Push Fit and Solvent Weld to Solvent Weld)
- Both systems may be called 32mm, 40mm and 50mm however they are slightly different to this in their exact measurements:
- 32mm solvent weld pipe has an external diameter of 36mm
- 32mm push fit pipe has an external diameter of 34mm
- 40mm solvent weld pipe has an external diameter of 43mm
- 40mm push fit pipe has an external diameter of 41mm
- 50mm solvent weld pipe has an external diameter of 55mm
- 50mm push fit pipe has an external diameter of 54mm
Still not sure which system to choose?
Our recommendation would be to use the Solvent Weld where there is risk of impact to the system such as outside on the side of a building. Solvent Weld is also a slightly more slim line system compared to Push Fit. Other than this it really is a personal choice.
Here at Plastic Supplies Direct we stock:
- 32mm Solvent Weld waste systems in black, white, grey and brown
- 40mm Solvent Weld waste systems in black, white, grey and brown
- 50mm Solvent Weld waste systems in black, white and grey
- 32mm Push Fit waste systems in black, white grey and brown
- 40mm Push Fit waste systems in black, white grey and brown
- 50mm Push Fit waste systems in black and white
If you need any help in choosing Solvent Weld or Push Fit Waste Systems, feel free to drop us an email with your requirements.